Phase 3: Design Phase
In phase 3 I modeled my ideas in SolidWorks analyzed my ideas in Microsoft Excel and then used my final model to make a rapid prototype. Here are the results of my many hours and late nights:
Here are some of the features my design includes:
1. Wide opening in between fingers for increased visibility.
2. Curved grasping surface for excellent cylindrical grasping.
3. Direct force path from finger to stud or high robustness.
4. Slender fingertips for reaching into pockets.
5. Rubber grip surfaces for secure and nondamaging grip.
6. Sleek contours for modern appearance.
7. Narrow well mating tip for superior tip prehension.
8. Grip force setting is easily changed without the use of the opposite hand.
9. Long-lasting metal springs instead of rubber bands.
10. Four different grip settings to allow between 4 -- 10 pounds of adjustable grip force.
11. Use of ball bearings for smooth and efficient motion.
12. Easily replaceable fingers for serviceability and for different hook finger style options
After the CAD model and analysis I got a rapid prototype made of some parts and machined the smaller delicate parts. After a few modifications I was very excited when it actually worked!!!!!!!